Free the Children - Vow of Silence

The Fern community is working hard to "be the change" as 292 Fern students (and one teacher!) took the Vow on November 30th.

This year 126 Junior and Senior students took the Vow for the school day or a more ambitious 24 hours. They were joined by 166 students in JK to Grade 3, who took mini-vows in their individual classes, with the support of their teachers.

When reflecting on the day, students talked about how difficult it was not having a voice for a day, let alone a lifetime. So far the students have collected $1,674.50 for our Health Care Project in Kenya.

Here are some of the Vow Participants' testimonials:

“This morning when I remembered it was the Vow, I started to feel like I couldn’t breathe”

“I think that it is an amazing experience to step into another’s shoes and I cannot imagine being silent for my whole life.” Abby

“I think that we are blessed to live in conditions like (in Canada).” Athanasia

I feel like no one understands me. It’s like they don’t want to take notice that I’m here. I feel that people are just ignoring me.” Sophie

“I think it’s kind of difficult, but I find it great that we can represent kids who are being ignored and kids who don’t have rights to say what they need to.” Temple

“It’s really hard to keep my opinion to myself and not telling it.” Abby

“I think the vow is pretty hard because we’re so used to speaking all the time that we keep accidentally breaking the vow.” Gwen

“It must be very difficult not to have your voice heard by others.” Andre

“This is why I want to raise money for health in Kenya.” Noah

“I feel how hard it is for other children.” Charley

“It was really hard to keep my opinion to myself and not tell it.” Tony

“I feel good doing it for all the children who don’t have a voice” Serena

“I felt really touched … at least FTC will help them!” Sam

Thanks to the Fern community for your unwavering support.

Karen Ashforth
Staff advisor, Fern FTC

Popular posts from this blog

Choir Performing at the Spring Concert

Fern Running Club

Spring Fling 2024: Taylor's Version